Friday, September 19, 2008

Clutch reporting

Yes, this is another Collegian story having to do with UMass women's soccer. I'm sorry if anyone gets bored with my little stories with the Daily Collegian, but this is a journalism class so I figured I'd share them.

My beat writer, David Brinch, was supposed to write a sidebar story on Vanessa Lima and Vanessa Patry, but he couldn't get the interviews together and was relying on my interview notes from my conversation with Coach Rudy to get his piece together. I made a judgment call when I heard that one of the defensive players for the Minutewomen, Meghan Collins, has a sister on Providence who they are playing on Sunday.

I immediately asked the follow up questions where I could try to help Brinch get a new sidebar together. I called him back and since he was busy and didn't get all the background that I got asked if I could write the sidebar in addition to my preview. I knew this was going to be quite the challenge because I've never had to write two pieces on deadline before, but he offered to take the wrap and I liked the idea anyway so I just went with it.

My next challenge was to get an interview with Collins. I called Jillian (Media Relations) once again and apologized profusely for being last minute because it's something the editors used to kill us for last year and wouldn't be happy about me doing this now either.

Like one of my former editors Jeremy Rice said, "You need to work with Media Relations and they need to work with you. We are a team that needs each other. I shouldn't be getting calls from John Sinnett saying that he doesn't have time to schedule an interview for hockey because he has to get interviews at the last minute for swimming and diving."

OK, last time I didn't have a valid excuse, but this time it was last minute and there seriously was nothing I could do. Jillian called Collins, but for some reason had the wrong number. In the meantime, I started my story at 4 p.m. during my computer literacy class only to receive a text from Justin and helped me get the interview straight. I told him to have Collins call the Collegian since my cell phone gets no reception down there.

At 5:45, I finish the preview with no call from Collins. Naturally, I take care of my stress problems by ordering food at the Blue Wall. As soon as I'm in an area where I can get cell phone coverage, I get a text message from Melissa asking for a copy of the paper so she can read my article.

That was pretty much my highlight of the night.

I came down, called Justin and asked if he knew whether Collins would call me. He told me that she should've called me already and as he said that, she called me and I hung up on him. I got the interview and article done by 7:45. Mission accomplished.

Seriously, Justin should be hired to do Media Relations for a pro sports team the minute he graduates. He obviously cares a lot about UMass sports, but he always finds a way to get me whatever I need for my story. Had anyone else but Justin handle this situation, there was no way I would've gotten my interview with Collins and I'd essentially be screwed.

Anyway, Sunday is rumored to be decision day for winter beats. I'm only going to be here for a semester (studying abroad second semester), but I would still like to get men's basketball while I'm still here. I truly think that I am prepared and working with one of the most professional coaches at UMass in Rudy helped me so I could make the adjustment to basketball, where Coach Kellogg will be mobbed by local and national media.

There's going to be some adjustment if I end up getting basketball, but it would be a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No one better get bored with the soccer stories!
I certainly won't! Go Adam!