Friday, October 10, 2008

Most likely not so sweet home, Chicago


DEERFIELD, Ill.- That dateline was completely unnecessary, but anyway I'm home for the weekend and tonight I will cover my old high school (Deerfield High School) against their biggest rival Highland Park tonight at 7:30 p.m. CST (that means 8:30 for the rest of you).

The Warriors (4-2, 2-0 Central Suburban League North) generally hasn't done well against the Giants (4-2, 2-0 CSL North), but considering they are Deerfield's biggest rivalry, the stands are probably going to be packed.  This game has quite a bit of meaning to it considering both teams are on top of the division and one of them is going to have their first conference loss.

Here are some stats on the Warriors

I'm expecting that attending the game will be very awkward, but it should be fun to write about. First, DHS coach Steve Winiecki told me that I am allowed to interview after the game, but I can't do it right after the game and I have a "very short" time limit. I most likely will be sitting in the stands and perhaps I can sneak into the press box, but that's unlikely. 

I talked to my old paper's (Deerprints) Sports Editor, Tyler Bail about the game. According to him, "We're not covering the team this month because we're doing a feature on this freshman who's good at Karate." I then asked him his thoughts on the game, "I'm not going. The team is just mediocre." So much for getting that perspective tonight.

I'm guessing that being an alum isn't going to matter much tonight. I'll probably have to pay to get in and when I was there, they had an anti-bag policy so getting my lap top in will be tricky. I'm sure I'll probably get a lot of weird looks and questions where someone is going to ask, "what are you doing here?" 

Oh well.

I'm going to try to make this as much of a convergence journalism night as possible with my camera that can shoot video along with taking pictures (if I'm lucky, I'll get my sister's digital SLR for the night). I just realized that my high school probably isn't quite there with technology as Rudd Field is so live blogging will be a bit difficult.

Instead, I'm going to blog though my Blackberry on Twitter. If you want to follow the game (seriously, are you that bored on a Friday night?), it will be #dhsfootball. Feel free to talk about the game (although there's no way to follow the information besides me) but it might take awhile to respond since I will have to go through my phone to see if anyone else is using the hashtag besides me. 

After the game, I'll post 5-600 words on a recap and then do another post about my experience covering it.

No comments: